123Next
Return to list New
View: 34479|Reply: 57

Prince Jefri Bolkiah of Brunei

[Copy link]
Post time 27-9-2009 09:48 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
9/27/2009

Brunei prince's homecoming may signal end of family feud

The playboy brother of the Sultan of Brunei has made two surprise appearances in the oil-rich nation in recent weeks, triggering speculation that a decade-long family feud is being resolved.

Prince Jefri Bolkiah, who has been embroiled in legal action over allegations that billions of dollars went missing during his time as finance minister, had reportedly not spoken to his older brother since 2004.

But his appearances in the sultanate, including a visit last week to a mosque along with other senior royals which was publicised in the Brunei press, has shed rare light on the wrangle.

"There's a much more constructive relationship between the parties," confirmed Prince Jefri's London-based lawyer David Sandy, who declined to elaborate.

"The discussions are continuing, I don't want to disrupt those by making any assumptions on the process other than that," he told AFP.

Sandy dismissed suggestions that Prince Jefri is mending fences because he has nowhere left to turn amid legal machinations which last year saw a British judge issue an arrest warrant after he failed to turn up at a court.

"I don't think it's an accurate reflection of the relationship between the parties," he said.

Jefri failed to show up at court to defend allegations he was in contempt for breaching the terms of an order requiring him to hand over 3.0 billion pounds (4.8 billion dollars) to the Brunei Investment Agency.

A year ago, the prince said in a newspaper interview from his Paris home that he had tried and failed to reach a "lasting solution" with his brother over his remaining assets.

"Sadly, I have concluded that a reconciliation with the other side is not possible and that the unequal struggle will continue, placing great pressures upon me and my family," he told Britain's Sunday Telegraph.

Prince Jefri told the newspaper that much of the nearly 15 billion dollars he is accused of embezzling was invested wisely and used to fund hospitals and other public amenities.

"I am no angel, for sure, but I have been the fall guy," he said.

The dispute has cast an unwanted spotlight on the vast wealth and excesses of the royal family in Brunei, an absolute monarchy perched on the northern coast of Borneo with a population of just 380,000.

Bridget Welsh, a Southeast Asia expert from Singapore Management University, said that 55-year-old Jefri probably had little choice other than to agree to an overdue resolution to the family saga.

"I'm sure his savings and other accounts have now been drained and I would project, although I can't know, that his financial conditions are becoming much tighter. I do think he has to come to the table in some fashion," she said.

"Brunei really needs to get rid of this baggage because this is a bit of a blight," she said. "The talk is largely among elites within Brunei, that we're going to be finally able to solve this."

"There is a sense of wanting to reach a resolution, and I think it's not just Jefri's side, it's also the sultan's side. He sees this as something that he needs to resolve because it is the largest governance scandal he's had under his tenure."

Any deal is likely to be highly complex given the number of nations and identities involved, and the scale of the disputed assets which include a New York hotel, luxury homes in London and palaces in Brunei.

It will also likely involve an agreement on the future role of Prince Jefri, who before his spectacular downfall was reputedly very close to his brother, and was credited with successfully diversifying Brunei's oil-based economy.

While internationally he is burdened with a reputation as a buffoonish character who wasted billions on fast cars and vulgar baubles, he is well-liked in Brunei where he is seen by many as entertaining and down-to-earth.

The lawyer David Sandy would not say whether Prince Jefri will appear as scheduled in New York this week for a hearing related to a dispute with a British couple who were his advisors.

aku bajet... walaupun soltan brunei  mungkin mahapkan jefri tu sbb brader dia... tapi MOSTI tak leh lufe tentang penifuan jefri dan PEMbaziran jefri from HELL nih.... hah!!!!

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 27-9-2009 10:44 PM | Show all posts
Bleh tak ko tepek gamba bro nih, aku dh lupe ghupenyer lagu mana...

Use magic Report

Post time 27-9-2009 10:44 PM | Show all posts
Tun Jefri nie wife die sape?
anak2 die?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-9-2009 12:29 AM | Show all posts
Bleh tak ko tepek gamba bro nih, aku dh lupe ghupenyer lagu mana...
acikia Post at 27-9-2009 22:44

keta from HELL..... owner:  prince jefri bolkiah of brunei!!!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-9-2009 12:31 AM | Show all posts

yacht from HELL....nama pun  TITS....owner: prince jefri bolkiah of brunei..

p/s   pakai duit harom.................wallahua'alam....

Use magic Report

Post time 28-9-2009 08:33 AM | Show all posts
4# amazed

bak kata budak2 sekarang...muka tak bley blah

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 28-9-2009 02:37 PM | Show all posts
buleh tahan jugak ghupe dia....walaupon da tua...tp masih segakk..hahahha....manyak duit la katakan

Use magic Report

Post time 28-9-2009 02:46 PM | Show all posts
Siapa wife dia??

Nama yatch dia very interesting

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 28-9-2009 02:47 PM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2009 03:10 AM | Show all posts
ensem gak.. taste haku noks

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2009 12:23 PM | Show all posts
hensem....
nmpk muda dan segakk nieee

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2009 12:32 PM | Show all posts
photo yg amazed letak tu photo lama, yg terkini nampak dah kedur2 ....

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2009 12:46 PM | Show all posts

lelaki baju hitam sebelah pengiran sufri tu pengiran jefri....

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2009 12:56 PM | Show all posts
yg ada biji2 tu sapa ek?
dia keee

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2009 01:15 PM | Show all posts
tu pengiran sufri la....

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2009 01:24 PM | Show all posts
Amazed jangan ler kata from Hell kang kecik ati fellow Bruneian my dear.....

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 29-9-2009 01:33 PM | Show all posts
16# cmf_yipun78 lorrrrrrrr sorry mate..... yg from hell bukan worang brunei......

jgn ler pulok bruneian  TERasa wokeyyyy.... aku pun ramai member kat brunei nih...

eniway..... pangai prince jefri of brunei nih.... tak ramai yg bley lufekan..... pembaziran yg Melampau... mate!!!

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2009 05:21 PM | Show all posts
Bagus jugak dia dah balik Brunei. Depan mata senang sikit nak kawal. Bagi dia allowance cukup2 makan je. Nanti kawin pulak lebih2 ngan minah salleh atau pompuan filipin

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2009 09:02 PM | Show all posts
aku penah terbaca paper masa kes lelong barang2 dia dulu..
selain dari yatch dia nama tits tu.. dia ada speedboat nama niples.. :kant:

Use magic Report

Post time 29-9-2009 09:50 PM | Show all posts
awt nama brg2 dia ala2 gtew?
alohai...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

20-5-2024 09:15 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.076126 second(s), 46 queries .