which incl  skiing - downhill slalom,  cross country skiing
curling, ice skating - speedskating, figure skating -

*for ice hockey - the coverage is wider is why it has a
specific topic for it --

tapi rasanya kita include sebab tak banyak sangat cerita tu kat
sini  besides  tu untuk knowledge mostly cuz malaysian tak berapa
ada interest dalam curling or downhill skiing  etc etc -

here i will paste article  re: skiing - and will find more later on -
these sports are interesting  especially curling (i love playing it)

as well bagus untuk knowledge -

- thanks

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 21-1-2007 07:01 AM | Show all posts
skiing -

Notes: Mancuso keeps World Cup title hopes alive with strong downhill
Posted 1/20/2007  

CORTINA D'AMPEZZO, Italy (AP)

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-1-2007 07:05 AM | Show all posts
bobsled -

First bobsled win of season for Canada's Lueders

IGLS, Austria

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-1-2007 07:06 AM | Show all posts
speedskating -

Koskela, Friesinger lead in world sprint speedskating championship

HAMAR, Norway

Use magic Report

Post time 21-1-2007 04:45 PM | Show all posts
you forgot to mention one of the most popular winter sports ... snowboarding!
kalo nak tau psl sukan ni, leh tgk movie documentary ' first decent'.. it is about 5 of the best professional snowboarders from different generation came together for freeriding backcountry snowboarding in Alaska..

antara winter sports yg popular
- ice skating. ade 3 jenis ice skating- ice hockey, figure skating and speed skating.
- skiing - 2 jenis -downhill & crosscountry
- snowboarding - banyak jenis.. free rides, free styles, alpine/carving..
- sledding
- snowtubing
- ice fishing
- toboggan

winter x games  kat aspen, colorado next week..

[ Last edited by  chuckiey at 21-1-2007 04:47 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-1-2007 05:14 PM | Show all posts

Reply #5 chuckiey's post

yang tobaggoning
and ice fishing  tu -- for fun aje rasanya -

btw   curling is winter sport gak -

saya suka main curling
fun aje masa sweeping tu -

teringat winter olympic masa
figure skating tonya harding vs nancy kerrigan
what a havoc -

[ Last edited by  dexa at 21-1-2007 05:16 PM ]

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 22-1-2007 02:29 AM | Show all posts
ice fishing & snowtubing tu dlm kategori recreational sports..tapi pernah gak dgr psl ice fishing competition..
modern toboggan (bobsleigh) ade kat winter olympic..
dogsledding mungkin dlm kategori recreational sports kot.. quite popular kat nothern US.

lupe nak mention lagi satu winter sport.. snowmobile.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-1-2007 01:54 AM | Show all posts
Byggmark wins slalom; Miller crashes

KITZBUEHEL, Austria - Jens Byggmark won his first World Cup race Saturday with a surprising victory in a slalom, while American Bode Miller lost a ski and crashed on his first run.

Sweden's Jens Byggmark reacts at finish line after
clocking the fastest time

The 21-year-old Swede, who had the fastest opening run, delivered a second brilliant run down the Ganslern course to win with a combined time of 1 minute, 43.74 seconds.

"It's amazing," Byggmark said. "After the first run, I tried not to expect anything."

It is Byggmark's first full season on the World Cup circuit.

Miller lost his right ski during his first run, and has now gone nearly a year without completing a slalom event.

Austria's Mario Matt improved on his third-place finish from the last slalom at Adelboden, Switzerland, three weeks ago, finishing second in 1:44.61.

Germany's Alois Vogl was third in 1:45.22.

Olympic champion Benjamin Raich, who was third going into the second run, dropped into fifth.

Switzerland's Marc Berthod, the surprise winner of the slushy slalom at Adelboden, crossed second after the opening leg but straddled a gate on his second trip down.

Discipline leader Markus Larsson of Sweden fell and failed to qualify for the second run.

Miller, still seeking a berth on the U.S. slalom squad for the upcoming world championships in Are, Sweden, had a disastrous run.

He straddled a gate midway down, then hiked back up two sets of gates to rerun it. Moments later, he lost his right ski on a left turn and crashed. It was the second time in two weeks Miller lost his right ski in a slalom.

In Adelboden, he was the only American to qualify for the second leg but his ski inexplicably popped off midway down the next run.

"It's the same problem as in Adelboden," said Rainer Salzgeber, who works for Head

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 28-1-2007 01:55 AM | Show all posts

Reply #7 chuckiey's post

saya dah naik ski-doo ni -
tapi rasanya belum jadi winter olympic
punya event lagi  - not sure if it will be
next time --
tapi memang best snowmobile ni --

Use magic Report

Post time 28-1-2007 04:56 AM | Show all posts
skarang ni Winter X Games 11 tgh berlangsung kat Aspen, Colorado
because I love snowboarding, aku copy & paste result utk snowboarding events dulu..

Women's Snowboard SuperPipe Finals
Rank Athlete         Run 1 Run 2 Best Score
1 Torah Bright       85.00 94.66 94.66
2 Gretchen Bleiler   91.00 40.00 91.00
3 Elena Hight         43.33 88.00 88.00
4 Hannah Teter     36.33 85.33 85.33

Women's Snowboard Slopestyle Finals
Rank Athlete           Run 1 Run 2 Best Score

1 Jamie Anderson    85.33 64.33 85.33
2 Hana Beaman       78.33 45.66 78.33
3 Chanelle Sladics     71.66 76.33 76.33
4 Silvia Mittermueller 44.66 74.33 74.33

men's snowboard slopestyle tak abis lagi... hopefully, shaun white dpt 1 st place.. skarang ni, kat 3rd place..

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 28-1-2007 04:59 AM | Show all posts
Men's Snowboard Slopestyle Finals
Rank Athlete        Run 1 Run 2 Best Score
Andreas              89.66 42.00 89.66
Jussi Oksanen      84.66 41.33 84.66
Shaun White       83.33 75.00 83.33
Antti Autti          83.00 35.66 83.00

aiseyh.. shaun dpt no 3 je...

Use magic Report

Post time 28-1-2007 05:02 AM | Show all posts
Big machines and big air: Winter X Games ratchet up wow factor with freestyle snowmobiling

By JOHN MARSHALL, AP Sports Writer
January 26, 2007

ASPEN, Colo. (AP) -- Chris Burandt squeezed on the throttle as he barreled toward the ramp, ready to pull off a trick he had never tried. But he couldn't make himself do it.

Over and over, Burandt started up the ramp, then bailed out at the last second, easing off the gas as he hit the lip. Finally, after nearly two dozen attempts, Burandt got the speed and his nerves just right, launching his snowmobile, pulling on the handlebars and completing the backflip.

Athletes at the Winter X Games are known for their bravado and I-can-do-anything attitude, but the newest event at the action sports showcase, freestyle snowmobiling, is way up the gnarly scale, making even one of the world's best all-around snowmobilers squeamish.

"I bet I was out there for an hour with everyone out there watching and waiting and filming, and I just couldn't tell myself to do it," Burandt said. "I finally got it into my head that there was no way I had a chance to win the X Games without a backflip, so I just did it. It's very intimidating."

What makes freestyle snowmobiling such an off-the-hook event -- and so perfect for the Winter X Games -- is that 400-pound machines doing backflips in the snow just doesn't look right or even seem physically possible, like seeing a dump truck hit 200 mph on a NASCAR track.

The riders modify their sleds, stripping down all the excess weight, some of them carving out the sides of their seats to get a better grip with their legs. Still, it's basically someone doing a backflip in a Geo Metro.

Then there's the sound. If you can imagine a freight train crashing to the street from a 10-story building, then you get an idea of what it sounds like when one of those sleds hits the snow. And that's when they land the jump. It's even worse when they don't, the cracking fiberglass, crunching metal and fearful groans from the crowd forming a symphony of destruction.

Yes, freestyle snowmobiling is very dangerous.

Three years ago, moto X rider Brian Deegan crashed while attempting a backflip with a full twist at the Winter X Games. He bailed out of the trick halfway through and fell from 35 feet, landing with a thud on the ice below. Deegan broke his pelvis and both wrists in one of the worst crashes in the games' 11-year history, but it could be much worse if one of the snowmobilers wipes out and gets crushed by a sled.

Several riders crashed hard during practice runs Thursday, including one who went face first into the snow after failing to rotate his sled around on an attempted backflip. There was one trip to the hospital for a suspected broken back (X-rays came back negative) and another rider who might have broken some ribs. Thankfully, there hasn't been anything more serious, but the finals aren't until Sunday.

Of course, the combination of sight, sound and the carnage is what has made it such a big hit with the fans.

"It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen," Ted Stevens of Minneapolis said during Thursday's practice session. "It's unbelievable that these guys can flip machines that big."

Freestyle snowmobiling got its start a few years back when some of the racers got bored with going around in circles, so they started jumping anything they could find -- even houses.

Following the lead of the moto X riders, freestyle snowmobilers kept pushing the boundaries of their sport, kicking their feet off over jumps, letting go of the handlebars, eventually pulling those sleds around for backflips.

Motorcycles on snow never did seem to be a good fit -- there were too many weather variables and the riders never got to practice on the white stuff -- so organizers scrapped moto X this year in favor of machines made for the winter.

"When you look at a lot of things that they do, they take a lot of their tricks from the moto and it seemed like a good time and a natural progression to take the motorcycles off the snow and put the snowmobiles on the snow," X Games general manager Chris Stiepock said.

It was great news to riders such as Burandt, who had been doing their tricks in relative obscurity. Flipping snowmobiles on the biggest stage in action sports is sure to attract attention, which can only progress the sport further.

"What I'm hoping to see is to have this be an eye-opening experience for a lot of up and comers because that's the one thing we really don't have," Burandt said. "You go to a motocross and there's 50 dudes throwing sick, sick stuff, but really we don't have that type of talent pool. And we need that to get people into the sport and I'm hoping X Games can kind of exploit what we're all about."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-1-2007 01:56 PM | Show all posts
- figure skating -

Meissner gets national title with assist from Hughes
By NANCY ARMOUR, AP National Writer
January 27, 2007

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) -- Kimmie Meissner has a national title, and that's all anybody needs to know.

Never mind that the world champion finished third in the free skate, and only won because Emily Hughes toppled over on a jump. Or that if Michelle Kwan were here, she'd likely have a 10th title.

When people look at the results from this year's U.S. Figure Skating Championships, all they'll see is that Meissner won the title. Nothing else will matter.

"I'm really excited that I'm the leader right now, just because coming into this competition, there was no national champion here," she said.

"Now there is."

Meissner's third-place finish in the free skate was enough to take the title after Hughes fell on a triple flip. There's an automatic one-point deduction for a fall, and it was the difference between silver and gold for the Olympians.

"I am aware," Hughes said, nodding her head when asked if she realized that one jump cost her the title. "And it's going to push me to March."

Meissner finished with 181.68 points. Hughes, who turned 18 on Friday, had 180.86. Alissa Czisny won the free skate, but wound up third overall because she had so much ground to make up after her fifth-place finish in the short program.

All three women were named to the team for the world championships in March.

"I'll try to get that perfect skate at worlds," Meissner said.

The men's final was later Saturday, with two-time world bronze medalist Evan Lysacek trying to hold off defending champ Johnny Weir.

Meissner, who turned 17 in October, was the first woman since Kristi Yamaguchi in 1991 to win a world title before earning the crown in her own country. With Kwan and Sasha Cohen both absent for the first time in a decade, Meissner should have had little trouble filling in the gap in her resume.

But she's never been the favorite at this level, and she seemed to struggle with the expectations. She put a hand down on her opening triple lutz and couldn't tack on the triple toe loop that was supposed to complete the combination.

"I forgot about it and just kept going. I knew I had the whole program I could make up the points I missed on that," she said.

She did a triple flip-triple toe combo, but the landing on the second jump was shaky. She did do a three-jump combination -- double axel-double toe-double loop -- that was impressive, especially because it came 15 seconds from the end of the 4-minute program.

She has great speed and uses her edges better than most. But her presentation could still use a little work. She had some nice moments to "Galicie Flamenco," clicking her hands like a Spanish dancer at one point. But she didn't have nearly the fire or sass flamenco numbers deserve.

That left the door open for Hughes, the little sister of 2002 Olympic champion Sarah Hughes.

She almost made it.

Hughes' day got off to a rough start when she realized 20 minutes before she was due on the ice for warm-ups that her dress was still back at the hotel. Coach Bonni Retzkin rushed to grab it, and made it back to the arena with about five minutes to spare.

"I had the best warm-up of my life," Hughes said, laughing.

A pretty good program, too.

She's all about power and guts, and both were on full display Saturday afternoon. She'd finished third in the short program, and knew it would take her very best to win a national title.

Her opening jump, a double axel, was spectacular, so high people in the front rows had to crane their necks to see her. She did three jump combinations, including a triple lutz-double toe-double loop combo that looked effortless.

The crowd began applauding, and it looked as if Hughes might be on her way to an upset. But the rotation on her triple flip was delayed and she couldn't hold the landing, crashing hard to the ice.

You don't grow up in a family of six kids without developing some toughness, though, and Hughes kept right on attacking through the final note.

"Even though I fell, I knew I could get up and keep going," Hughes said. "If I get up and keep going, I still have a chance. I'm really happy with myself that I did the last two jumps.

"It was really close so, next year."

Czisny has always been a tough one to figure out. She has more grace and talent than 10 skaters combined, but falters when it matters most. After botching the short program, though, she had nothing to lose Saturday.

Skating to music from "Sabrina," she did Audrey Hepburn proud. She was classy and elegant, from her beautiful lines to her gorgeous black dress with white trim. Everything was effortless, including a multiple-position layback spin in which she began leaned completely over to one side and then went into a Biellmann, pulling one leg back and up to her head.

She did five clean triple jumps, two in combination. She two-footed another triple jump, but the rest of her jumps were smooth, high and controlled, the kind of technique coaches wish just one of their students would have. Her spirals drew oohs and aahs, and her final spin was so quick she was a blur on the ice.

She pumped her fists when she was done, and the audience gave her a standing ovation.

Though winning the free skate would have given Czisny the title under the old judging system, she wasn't about to complain.

"It was really exciting for me to win the long program," she said. "For me just to have done my best is probably what makes me happiest."

So Meissner goes home as the champion. And she already knows just what she's going to say when she does the public address announcements at school Monday morning.

"Kimmie Meissner is back in the building today after winning nationals," Meissner said. "So make sure if you see her, tell her congratulations."

Use magic Report

Post time 29-1-2007 09:50 AM | Show all posts
tak sabar nak tgk 2007 World Figure Skating Championships kat Tokyo.. around March kot..
A battle between the 3 world's greatest young skaters : Mao Asada from Japan, Yuna Kim from Korea, and Kimmie Meisner from USA.

Use magic Report

Post time 29-1-2007 10:11 AM | Show all posts
kalo pairs figure skating, aku suke tgk Shen & Zhao performance, especially during 2003 & 2004 World Championship, 2004 World Championship Exhibition and 2004 Grand Prix Final.. Standing ovation performance. Aku terminat dgn lagu ballet Nutcracker & lagu 'Come What May' pun sbb tgk Shen & Zhao skate to these songs..

Use magic Report

Post time 21-3-2007 03:09 PM | Show all posts
malas nak bukak topic baru..

2007 World Figure Skating Championship, in Tokyo.. March 20-25

4 categories:
ICE DANCING
PAIRS
MEN
LADIES

Schedule of events

Date                                          
Tuesday, March 20th,  
Events:               
ICE DANCING
Compulsory Dance
OPENING ON ICE
PAIRS - Short Program

Wednesday, March 21st,
MEN -Short Program
PAIRS-Free Skating

Thursday, March 22nd,
ICE DANCING-Original Dance
MEN -Free Skating

Friday, March 23rd,
LADIES- Short Program

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 22-3-2007 10:02 AM | Show all posts
Medallists

PAIRS

1st Place Xue SHEN        -------------- my fav pairs
Hongbo ZHAO
(CHN)  

2nd Place Qing PANG
Jian TONG
(CHN)  

3rd Place Aliona SAVCHENKO
Robin SZOLKOWY
(GER)

Use magic Report

Post time 25-3-2007 10:55 AM | Show all posts
Men's single skating

1st Place Brian JOUBERT
(FRA)

2nd Place Daisuke TAKAHASHI
(JPN)  

3rd Place Stephane LAMBIEL
(SUI)

Ice Dancing

1st Place Albena DENKOVA
Maxim STAVISKI
(BUL)  

2nd Place Marie-France DUBREUIL
Patrice LAUZON
(CAN)  

3rd Place Tanith BELBIN
Benjamin AGOSTO
(USA)  

Ladies Single Skating

1st Place Miki ANDO
(JPN)  

2nd Place Mao ASADA
(JPN)  

3rd Place Yu-Na KIM
(KOR)

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 14-5-2011 09:08 AM | Show all posts
yay, ada pun thread pasal winter sports. ingatkan nak buat dedicated thread about skiing but this is good enuf.    

i just got hooked to skiing after trying it out 4 yrs ago. skrg nih ingat every season nak pegi spend around a week on the slope.

another competition category yg x mentioned lagi is aerial skiing. Lydia Lassila menang at last winter sport. i'll put more things soon.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

27-5-2024 03:47 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.142402 second(s), 51 queries .