Author: lyhmsia

Interesting/Inspirational Stories, Proverb and Saying

[Copy link]
lyhmsia This user has been deleted
 Author| Post time 21-9-2006 09:12 AM | Show all posts
Happiness and Suffering

Source: BY VENERABLE MASTER HSING YUN

Date: 2003 / 11 / 30
    &nbspEvery day when Chan Master Tanzhao instructed the devotees, he never failed to say, "Happiness! Happiness! Life is filled with happiness!"
      However, one time when he fell sick, he yelled intermittently, "Suffering! Suffering! So much suffering!"
      The abbot heard this and reproached him, "Hey! A monastic who is ill always yelling, 慡uffering! Suffering!

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 21-9-2006 09:16 AM | Show all posts
My comment:
If you've read my posting of interesting stories and interested in learning Buddhism I suggest you read the basic of Buddha's Teaching. Below is the excerpt of First Noble Truth. (Link: http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble.htm)

THE FIRST NOBLE TRUTH

What is the Noble Truth of Suffering? Birth is suffering, aging is suffering, sickness is suffering, dissociation from the loved is suffering, not to get what one wants is suffering: in short the five categories affected by clinging are suffering.

There is this Noble Truth of Suffering: such was the vision, insight, wisdom, knowing and light that arose in me about things not heard before.

This Noble Truth must be penetrated by fully understanding suffering: such was the vision, insight, wisdom, knowing and light that arose in me about things not heard before.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-9-2006 09:22 AM | Show all posts
How can one liberate the many?
    By first liberating one's own being.
You do this not by elevating yourself,
    you become a master of simplicity, modesty, truth.

Hua Hu Ching 77

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-9-2006 12:30 PM | Show all posts
Andrew Carnegie, Philanthropist

Can you imagine becoming the richest person in the world and then giving your money away? That's exactly what Andrew Carnegie did. After retiring in 1901 at the age of 66 as the world's richest man, Andrew Carnegie wanted to become a philanthropist, a person who gives money to good causes. He believed in the "Gospel of Wealth," which meant that wealthy people were morally obligated to give their money back to others in society.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-9-2006 12:55 PM | Show all posts
Buddhism

What is "big goodness and small goodness"? Once there was a high ranking official named Zhong-Da Wei, who was led into the underworld to be judged for his good and bad deeds. The judge ordered his records of good and bad to be brought out. When the records arrived, Zhong-Da was astounded at the courtyard filled with his bad records and at the single scroll, which contained his good deeds.

The official then ordered the two to be weighed. Surprisingly, the bad records, which had filled the courtyard, were lighter than the single scroll of good deeds, which was as thin as a chopstick. Zhong-Da asked the judge, "I am barely forty years old, how could I have committed so many wrongdoings?" The judge answered, "When you give rise to a single thought that is improper, it is considered a bad offense there and then, it does not have to be carried out through action to be counted as a wrong".

Source: http://www.amtb.org.tw/e-bud/chinese/liaofan3.htm

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-9-2006 01:14 PM | Show all posts
In our present society, why are there so few people teaching Buddhism? The opportunity to do so may have not yet presented itself. Or the individuals may not be sincerely dedicated to propagating the teachings to help all beings. The vow, the quality of some people is dubious and flawed. And often laypeople like to flatter and listen to older masters and do not go to listen to newer ones. This can cause the newer masters to become discouraged so that they might turn to conducting ceremonies. This happens because the laypeople did not fulfill their responsibilities in providing proper opportunities. Therefore, when newer masters vow to lecture on the sutras, we should go and listen if what they teach is accurate.

However, if their teachings are inaccurate, then we should not listen so that they can see the reactions of others and learn to reflect and correct their faults. Once they have corrected these faults, we can then listen to them and encourage them to propagate the teachings. This is the proper way to praise newer masters and encourage them in their vows to pursue enlightenment. We must provide a suitable learning environment for them. The value of this merit is boundless because it can truly extend the life of Buddhism.

[ Last edited by  lyhmsia at 22-9-2006 01:25 PM ]

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 22-9-2006 01:24 PM | Show all posts
Buddhism
Source: http://www.amtb.org.tw/e-bud/chinese/liaofan3.htm
Title: Liao Fan Four Lessons

Comment: Please click on the source to further understand the teaching below. Because this is only a small section of book, you might misinterpret the paragraphs. Hence, I highly recommend that you read the whole book in order to gain full benefit from it.

If you any question about this book you might try contact this website:
http://www.amtb-m.org.my/ (Chinese)
http://www.amtb-m.org.my/eindex.htm (English)

What is giving? Giving is to let go. A wise person who understands this principle would be willing to give away everything, even to the point of letting go of our attachments to the six sense organs within. Externally, one can also give away that which we see, hear, smell, taste, touch and think.

To give is to let go, to give away. The more we give, the freer we will become. 揂 wise person who understands this principle

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-10-2006 10:03 AM | Show all posts
Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind.
And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so.

How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar.

Note:
This quote is not about war.It  is about the danger of human emotion that can blind us from doing unrational  act.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 16-10-2006 03:24 AM | Show all posts
Petronas Deepavali Ads: Why do you carry a light?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TiRC-fc6Ac

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-10-2006 03:25 AM | Show all posts
Petronas CNY 2006: Materialistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHVobYxdgmw

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-10-2006 03:33 AM | Show all posts
Petronas Merdeka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCXmpO-jfIo

We live in a multi culture and religious society. Regardless our differences, it's important we have the wisdom to foster harmony among fellow Malaysian. Malaysia is just like a plant. In order for a plant to grow, it needs water, fertilizer, air, sunshine, etc . Similarly, without Chinese, Malay, Indian, Kadazan, Iban, etc for this country will not progress. It's our duty foster mutual respect and understanding.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-10-2006 03:35 AM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-10-2006 03:39 AM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Adm_Cheng_Ho This user has been deleted
Post time 31-10-2006 03:38 PM | Show all posts
What is "big goodness and small goodness"?
Reading the book Yuan Liao Fan, I learned there are also the full deed and half-full deed. Strange really.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-8-2007 12:55 AM | Show all posts
Avarus animus nullo satiatur lucro - A greedy mind is satisfied with no (amount of) gain

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-8-2007 01:02 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Adm_Cheng_Ho at 31-10-2006 03:38 PM
What is "big goodness and small goodness"?
Reading the book Yuan Liao Fan, I learned there are also the full deed and half-full deed. Strange really.

Indeed, there are full deed and half-full deed. That's why in Buddhism we stress on gaining wisdom too. Without wisdom, how can we ensure that we're doing full deed? For instance, in western society caning a child is deemed abusive; however, without disciplining the child how could the child learn. Nevertheless, there must be moderation with caning a child. Therefore, it's important for one to acquire wisdom so the actions we take are thought thoroughly.

(This is strictly my own opinion only)

[ Last edited by  lyhmsia at 17-8-2007 01:14 AM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 19-3-2008 05:01 AM | Show all posts
                        People are often unreasonable, illogical
                        and self-centered;
                        Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, People may accuse you
                        of selfish, ulterior motives;
                        Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some
                        false friends and some true enemies;
                        Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,
                         people may cheat you;
                         Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone
                         could destroy overnight;
                         Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,
                         they may be jealous;
                         Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
                         people will often forget tomorrow;
                         Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
                         and it may never be enough;
                         Give the world the best you磛e got anyway.

See, in the final analysis,
                         it is between you and God;
                         It was never between you and them anyway.

Words spoken by Mother Teresa!

Use magic Report

Post time 19-3-2008 08:25 AM | Show all posts
such compassion. She got it right.

Use magic Report

Post time 2-4-2008 12:21 AM | Show all posts
i wanna add sumthing i have heard from a wise man~

IF YOU DONT DO EVIL WHEN YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO DO, THEN YOU ARE DOING GOOD
BUT IF YOU DONT DO GOOD WHEN YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO DO, THEN YOU ARE DOING EVIL

simple, weird, n profound if you can grasp wat it means~

IF YOU DONT KNOW THAT DOING A CERTAIN ACTION IS EVIL, IT DOESNT MEAN THAT YOU ARE NOT GUILTY OF YOUR ACTIONS. IT IS THE SAME FOR DRINKING A CUP OF WATER MIXED WITH POISON. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NOT BEING POISONED IF YOU ARENT AWARE OF IT.

so dont say that u duno is wrong for doing 1 thing n thinking that u can get away with it.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

27-4-2024 02:41 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.061793 second(s), 41 queries .