CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 2625|Reply: 4

China bans pigs for Year of the Pig.

Close [Copy link]
Post time 7-2-2007 11:36 AM | Show all posts |Read mode
[quote]1/27/2007-- Early in January, jibing with the Western New Year spirit and no doubt thinking of the soon to start Year of the Pig, writers in China抯 state news agency Xinhua announced the fascinating news that scientists had successfully bred partially green fluorescent pigs.

In Chinese culture (and in serious Taoist religious observance), the pig is one of the 12 animals that govern the Zodiac and thus the lives and destinies of human beings and societies.

The Xinhua report said a team of agricultural scientists in Harbin抯 Northeast Agricultural University was hoping that their accomplishment would be a boon to stem cell research.

Scientists in Manchuria

Harbin (Ha Er Bin) is in Heilongjiang province, one of China抯 northeastern provinces (the other two are Jilin and Liaoning) which Westerners and Japanese used to refer to as Manchuria. In World War II, the Japanese colonized Manchuria and turned it into their puppet state, Manchukuo.

What the research scientists did in Harbin was inject a green protein梘enetic matter from jellyfish that glow in the sea梚nto the womb of a sow and thus into her embryos. Three of these when born had mouths, trotters and tongues that were fluorescent green under ultraviolet light.

But stranger things subsequently happened to the Year of the Pig.

The Wall Street Journal Asia reported in its January 26 to 28 issue 揚igs Get the Ax In China TV Ads.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 7-2-2007 11:44 AM | Show all posts
Its unfortunate that pigs get such a bad reputation. It's not halal for muslims, yes, but to *be* a pig is another story. Pigs have a right to life and a right to a dignified life. I'm sure that pigs are very happy that Jews and Muslims have chosen not to slaughter them and have them for supper.

Use magic Report

Post time 7-2-2007 08:06 PM | Show all posts
>>>
I'm sure that pigs are very happy that Jews and Muslims have chosen not to slaughter them and have them for supper.
<<<

yes i wish i could say the same for lambs and goats

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 8-2-2007 02:41 AM | Show all posts
Hahaha...... funny but you made valid points but I am biased because  I love beef rendang/curry and chicken rendang/curry. Just for the sauce coz I'm a vegetarian.

[ Last edited by  DARSITA at 7-2-2007 10:48 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 10-2-2007 09:40 PM | Show all posts
ini tahun tak ada promosi macam tahun naga ker...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

27-4-2024 03:28 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.059241 second(s), 31 queries .