CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: aku_EnSeM

Proper Fundamental Understanding on Science and Mathematics

[Copy link]
 Author| Post time 1-3-2008 08:41 PM | Show all posts
Fundamental understanding, perhaps, needs reader to find paradoxes in life...

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 1-3-2008 09:31 PM | Show all posts

well,

they are not wrong in perceiving them as "mere theories" as those theories are yet to be proven , which then it could become the LAW

i  am of the opinion that Proper understanding  is said to occur/ acquire when a person has already reached the "deep learning " level like when you said < i never knew that before > and when we are saying this to ourselves like, " ooo...ahah " then you have the surface and probably gained some understanding .

the deep level of understanding entails the ability to relate, forming the link and could somehow "seeing" the process...initially as a fragmented version but then as learning is reinforced , one might progress to  acquire  the overall picture / holistic view

ini dah peringkat menghayati..lah ni

those are my two cents...

Use magic Report

Post time 1-3-2008 09:42 PM | Show all posts

hmm?

Originally posted by aku_EnSeM at 1-3-2008 08:41 PM Fundamental understanding, perhaps, needs reader to find paradoxes in life...

the paradoxes ? such as the core , basic  understanding of..........

Use magic Report

Post time 2-3-2008 04:05 AM | Show all posts
Aper ni, dua orang jer yg borak kat sini... nampak sangat tak ramai yg minat sains ngan math kat sini... hehehehe...

The Malaysian Education system is exam based... this somewhat confines the students to only learn stuff that is going to come out in their exams. Hence, suppresses creativity. But the good thing about this system is that the students are exposed to many things in a short period of time. I tutor young students myself. They are pretty slow. If I let them think on their own, they will be creative. However, it will take a long time for them to figure out the question and time isn't something that I have much during my classes. So it's either I show them how to do the question which will enable us to cover more things or I let them think and be stuck on one question the entire day. Of course most of the time I'll try to give hints and still make them think, but sometimes, they are too slow to grasp the idea that I ended up giving an obvious hint.

Anyway, my point is, not every student in this country are geniuses. There are slow and fast students. An exam based education system enables them to cover many things in a short period of time. As I've said earlier, primary and secondary school is just a platform for them to have a taste of the many subjects out there. Besides, human knowledge is expanding at a mind boggling rate. And life now is much more fast paced than it was in the olden days. So I think it's appropriate if the students only learn simple stuff that they need to know in school instead of learning in depth.

Talking about calculus, I'm sure you know that calculus comes out from the theory of limits. However, learning about limits has little practical application. You don't need to know limits if you want to calculate the rate of water flow from a water tank. You only need to know differentiation formulas. But I do not deny that understanding of limits is fundamental in calculus. However, from what I see, limits really have little practical application... the fact that you breezed through your Add Math back in school shows that you don't really need to know limits to do some practical calculations. Furthermore, not everyone wants or even need to know about limits. So to those who want to learn more should go and find out more on their own.

I think the teachers should be the ones who should encourage their students to find out more on their own instead of pestering them to concentrate only on their exams. You can't cover everything in class. Independent studies is the only way young students will be able to have in depth knowledge of the subjects they learn in school.

On research in Malaysia, I think it's still a long way... Malaysia's economy doesn't look too great to put aside large sums money for research projects in Physics and other Sciences. The money is need for more immediate and practical matters... Unless Malaysia gets filthy rich, we won't be seeing many great scientists from here. Even developed countries in this region namely Singapore and Brunei doesn't seem to produce prominent scientists. The problem is funding. Too little money is put into research in pure science.

Just my two cents

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-3-2008 08:01 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by meitantei at 2-3-2008 04:05 AM
Aper ni, dua orang jer yg borak kat sini... nampak sangat tak ramai yg minat sains ngan math kat sini... hehehehe...

The Malaysian Education system is exam based... this somewhat confines the  ...

Thats nice mate, thanks...

And, our exam-based education system requires students to understand certain concept individually... Thats just not fair for students who are unable to think further from what theyve learnt in their classes. As for me, I cudn't learn much during SPM bcoz the subjects are lyk, bulky, theyre just too much...

Then I continued my study from SPM to Australian syllabus, my lecturers took a very long time to get us out from this 'suap makan' concept of SPM...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-3-2008 08:04 AM | Show all posts
talking about funding, its one of the factor, mates...

U guys ever heard about SETI (searching for extraterrestial investigation), their funding by the US government ws terminated sometime in the early 90's (1992, i think) coz the government felt that there was no alien to contact with and that SETi are just a waste of money...

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 2-3-2008 08:07 AM | Show all posts

ur lecturers

then they have done well in doing that as the product is YOU no having a different paradigm.

how did they do that ?

cares to elaborate?
this is interesting ..think of the process.

Use magic Report

Post time 2-3-2008 08:11 AM | Show all posts

oh really?

Originally posted by aku_EnSeM at 2-3-2008 08:04 AM
talking about funding, its one of the factor, mates...

U guys ever heard about SETI (searching for extraterrestial investigation), their funding by the US government ws terminated sometime in  ...

yeah . ker????.i see. so what happened to the Arecibo's sattelie dish in Puerto Rico  then ,radio telescope , right?In 1990's there was a scientist , a scientist with visual impairment who actually being so passionate about SETI- read from the READERS' digest circa 1990- 1991..
well good for them

but in Europe , they have gor CERN etc...

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 2-3-2008 08:47 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by mbhcsf at 2-3-2008 08:11 AM

yeah . ker????.i see. so what happened to the Arecibo's sattelie dish in Puerto Rico  then ,radio telescope , right?In 1990's there was a scientist , a scientist with visual impairment who actu ...

SETI was established particularly to find aliens, they search for extraordinary radio codes and stuff. However, CERN's research includes matter-antimatter, this energy stuff, whose future is promising... Of course, scientists society are confident if CERN's benefits to mankind...

Since SETI's funding was cut, they've been promoting lecturers, astronomers, physicists around the world, both proffesional and amatuer, to search for extraordinary radio signals using their own radio signal... So generally, this extraterrestial finding is now funded by these committe, on their own...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-3-2008 08:58 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by mbhcsf at 2-3-2008 08:07 AM
then they have done well in doing that as the product is YOU no having a different paradigm.

how did they do that ?

cares to elaborate?
this is interesting ..think of the process.

Sometimes we (my mates and i) wanted to kill them, pal... :@

First, they asked us to introduce ourself very2 deeply, this is to get rid of the 'suap' concept.. Now, we have to 'muntahkan' balik...

Next, our lecturers never teach us. They asked us to teach ourself and every body else. When certain tasks are submitted, we are called by group or individually to receive killing critiques, and some did cry...

This process just continue for one whole sem...

Our opinion on certain issue never satisfy their standard, just to boost up our critical thinking... Unlike SPM, nyatakan kesan2 pertembungan budaya Islam dan Hindu, when your answer mathes the book, then your history teacher say 'awk boleh dapat A1 dlm SPM'... To compare, this expression is very common amongst our lecturers: "Think by yourself, search the net and library, write it down, then see me in my room".. When you've done every thing, they usually say :"Your analysis sucks, do it all over again from scratch, and I want to see them once again... If you send me this report, you will get an F"... Or... "Dont try to fool me, Ive come across to this article in the net, do all over again by your own, r you get an F"...

However, just couples of weeks b4 final exam, they finally say "You have met the standard that we've set for you, and now I'm confident that you are ready to go to the exam hall."

Thats just nice...

But for me, I still think that I'm not good enough for them...

Use magic Report

Post time 2-3-2008 09:10 AM | Show all posts

hahah..that's interesting..

oh the critiques? that should be interesting and dear IT HELPS  ROW. Sesiapa dalam dunia klinikal mmg dah masak dah...but  in my context they did it rather differently, they gave us journals, they gave us questin sheets, then small group discussion wow man it is so interesting..u can do it here in Malaysia but with deafening silence unless u are very patient like our Detective , Mei...

Mei , u like Sherlock Holmes? i adore him..

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-3-2008 09:17 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by mbhcsf at 2-3-2008 09:10 AM [img]mhtml:[img]http://3.3.3.3/multipart/forum3.cari.com.my_0_c38a4a1dbcc08fcb5adcee52ddd57d44.mht![url]http://forum3.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif[/img][/img][/url]
oh the critiques? that should be interesting and dear IT HELPS  ROW. Sesiapa dalam dunia klinikal mmg dah masak dah...but  in my context they did it rather differently, they gave us journals, the ...

o ya?

thats nice... huhuhu... mungkin lecturer tu nk tuka konsep dlm mase singkat, sampai seksa student... kekeke

Use magic Report

Post time 2-3-2008 09:28 AM | Show all posts

the framework is..

always they will question you

is that so?
will there be anything else you see that you want to bring up?
why?
did u agree on  X, why? if not why?
what would be the impact of perceiving X that way? or what if u just discarded them?

and that sorts of question

so, it said that then what it means?
is it valid?
if so why , if not why?
hahhahaahah

Use magic Report

Post time 2-3-2008 09:29 AM | Show all posts
so  i am asking u

take a loo at our postings to viewers' ratio?

what can you deduce?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-3-2008 10:02 AM | Show all posts

Reply #34 mbhcsf's post

disappointing....

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-3-2008 10:03 AM | Show all posts
disappointing...............
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 2-3-2008 10:06 AM | Show all posts
why? is that then?

Use magic Report

Post time 2-3-2008 10:13 AM | Show all posts
oh i just thought that well within those 191 viewers, would 2or 9 of them care to give their  opinion?

let ur mind be seen here. It matters. at least for further probing...

Use magic Report

Post time 2-3-2008 07:02 PM | Show all posts
Hmm, interesting system there. I think I can cope with that... I'm pretty independent, don't really depend on my teachers all the time.

About Sherlock Holmes, I do some of his novels, especially the first one... Holmes character is not entirely amicable. He does drugs, for one thing...

Anyway, I don't mean to be rude, but mbhcsf's English is really difficult to understand... the sentences at times just doesn't seem coherent nor make any sense at all...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-3-2008 07:15 PM | Show all posts
thats just natural, people dont like serious topics, do they?

I dont like to think also....

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

26-4-2024 12:25 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.073746 second(s), 42 queries .