CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News Update (siri 2)

Close [Copy link]
Post time 24-4-2008 07:41 PM | Show all posts
Park Hwayobi: guy magnet
April 18, 2008

Park Hwayobi confessed in tonight’s episode of KBS JOY “Save 10 Million Won,” which airs at 11:10 pm, that she is “popular among men.”

“I’ve truly loved 8-9 guys but I can no longer count how many I’ve had flings with. I’ve had a fling with a foreigner who I met while I was traveling abroad,” Park Hwayobi said, which amazed the people in the set.

On the other hand, when asked who her ideal type is, Park Hwayobi said, “My ideal type is someone like Ha Jung Woo because he’s the lovable and reliable type of guy.”

Source: Jknews + krnloop

-----
Lexy on working on her 4th album and YG
April 19, 2008

Last April 17’s episode of the Mnet show “Bopper’s,” Lexy revealed her experiences while preparing for her 4th album, which meant crying everyday during album work, and in leaving YG Entertainment.

“The 4th album is very important to me regardless if it’s a success. News that I cried during the album work are also true. It was really hard doing everything alone.

“YG is like home to me and at that time, I felt very relaxed. Because of that, it made think to persevere more. The 4th album is something in which I was able to be strong because I wanted to stand on my own feet.”

During the April 17 episode of “Bopper’s,” Lexy also talked about singers featuring in songs.

“When singers are requested to do featuring, a large sum of money is required. I really didn’t know that until now and I felt confused about it,” Lexy said.

Source: Joynews24 + krnloop

-----
Lee Hyo Ri: “When I’m 50…”
April 22, 2008

During the April 19 episode of “Off the Rec,” Lee Hyo Ri expressed to Kim Do Hyun, who has worked with her 1st album title track called “10 Minutes,” her desire to just live as an ordinary housewife when she is already 50 years old. The conversation started while she was watching Madonna’s “4 Minutes” music video.

Lee Hyo Ri admired Madonna and said, “How come she still looks good at 51? When I’m 50, I want to be an ordinary housewife raising a child.”

Lee Hyo Ri continued, “At that age, I don’t want to live being pressured to still show something and be conscious about my body.”

But the sexy singer knew that living out of the limelight might be hard for her.

“Because I lived 10 years of my life like this, maybe it’d be difficult to live an ordinary life.”

Source: Sports Chosun + krnloop

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 24-4-2008 07:43 PM | Show all posts
Jang Ri In, on top for 2 straight weeks
April 22, 2008

Jang Ri In’s “I Will” has managed to hold on to the top spot of Sohu.com’s “TOP IN MUSIC” chart for 2 consecutive weeks now. Sohu.com’s “TOP IN MUSIC” is a weekly online chart based from charts of about 30 radio broadcasting stations like Guandong Radio, Jinan Shandong, Funan Music radio, online poll results and album sales.

According to a Sohu.com official, this is an exceptional case for Jang Ri In to occupy the top spot for 2 weeks straight since she is a new singer.

“I’m very happy that my debut song is receiving lots of love and I’ll continue to work hard to present great performances in China,” Jang Ri In said on making it on top of the said music chart.

Meanwhile, Jang Ri In is also attending the D-100 Olympics event that will take place on the 30th.

Source: Mydaily + krnloop

-----
Yang Hyun Suk plans to marry in the next 3-4 years
April 22, 2008

Yang Hyun Suk, YG Entertainment’s head, revealed in an interview with Donga Ilbo that he is currently in a 3-year relationship with a non-showbiz girlfriend who is 10 years younger than him. When asked how they met, Yang Hyun Suk answered, “I just met her by accident.”

According to Yang, in a month, he and his girlfriend date for 2-3 times.

Moreover, although Yang Hyun Suk is already 39 years old, he is not in a hurry to tie the knot because he is thinking of getting married in the next 3-4 years. He reasoned that as of now, he is busy with work and still has no time to take care of his own family.

Meanwhile, also in the same interview last April 21, Yang Hyun Suk revealed that last year’s sales of BIG BANG’s albums, concerts, commercials and merchandises had gone up to 12 billion won. According to Yang, this income is equal to the whole income earned of all the artists of YG Entertainment back in 2003.

Source: Donga Ilbo + krnloop

-----
Buga Kingz, 3rd album comeback
April 22, 2008

Buga Kingz, composed of Bobby Kim, GanD and Juvie, is making a comeback after 3 years. The group was last active in 2005 when it released its 2nd album in July of that year. Now the hip hop group is back with its 3rd album entitled “Menu,” which comes out on the 24th.

“The album has 16 tracks. We named it ‘Menu’ because we wanted to present fans a variety of hip hop that they can choose from and have fun with,” Bobby Kim said.

The album’s title track is called “Siren,” which is about misunderstandings between sweethearts. The song also includes the voice of GanD’s girlfriend.

Meanwhile, Buga Kingz starts its 3rd album promotions with the recording of “Yoon Do Hyun’s Love Letter” on the 22nd.

Source: Mydaily + krnloop

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 11:25 AM | Show all posts
April 18, 2008

'Car accident' Park Si-yeon 'Jaw injury.. receiving treatment'

Actress Park Si-yeon was in a car accident while moving drama filming locations on the 18th.

She was moving for filming of MBC drama "Bittersweet Life" when she was involved in an accident. She is currently receiving treatment at a local hospital emergency room.

A representative from her company said, "The car that Park Si-yeon was in collided with the car in front. There weren't big injuries but her jaw was injured and she is in a state of shock".

"We will join filming as soon as she recovers".

The new drama "Bittersweet Life" is planned to air in May, and she will be acting with Oh Yeon-soo and Lee Dong-wook.

Original article at kr.news.yahoo.com
English translation from hancinema.net
Image from mydaily via yahoo.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 11:27 AM | Show all posts
Thanks to the highlight by kdramafanusa at soompi.com

April 18, 2008

"On Air", Excellent cameos are hot topic

[image=Hankyung/HanCinema]

SBS drama "On Air" is winning the hearts of viewers as it continues, and it is becoming tense as the love lines were revealed in episode 13.

"On Air" has also given unexpected fun as famous stars, such as Lee Hyo-lee, Jeon Do-yeon, Kang Hye-jeong, Lee Seo-jin, and Kim Min-joon, appear as cameos. In episode 13, comedian Jeong Chan-woo starred as a 'comical fortune teller' and gave lots of laughs.

Director Sin Woo-cheol and writer Kim Eun-sook's personal relationships played a big role for the fun cameo appearances.

Park Si-yeon and Director Shin Woo-chul are very close, and Lee Cheon-hee and writer Kim Eun-sook went to the same school. Lee Seo-jin, who worked with them in SBS drama "Lovers", and Jeon Do-yeon agreed to appear as a cameo with no hesitation.

Kim Min-joon, who grew close to Lee Beom-soo in "Surgeon Bong Dal-hee", and Lee Hyo-lee, Kang Hye-jeong, and Eom Ji-won, who are all close to Song Yoon-ah, agreed to star in "On Air".

As the relationships of the cameo stars are becoming public on the "On Air" message boards, the viewers are showing great interest.

Hong Ji-min, who is starring as Dream House representative Lee Hye-kyeong, revealed her thanks to the viewers on the "On Air" homepage, following Kim Ha-neul.

Hong Ji-min said, "I don't have much experience and I'm honored to play a good character and working with such an excellent staff and great actors. There's a lot I lack but I was try hard to grow each day".

Hong Ji-min is receiving love for her unique accent, and is adding humor with her comical acting.

Original Korean Article: Hankyung 2008-04-18 11:11
English Translation Credit: HanCinema

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 05:47 PM | Show all posts
Thanks to kdramafanusa at soompi.com

April 22, 2008

Child actors' salaries... 'Boss ! I'm not jealous'

Ten minutes, 10000 ~ 41940 won ($US 10~42); stars get 1 million won per episode ($US 1000)

"Don't look down on us because we're young".

The smallest peppers are the spiciest. You can't look down on kids. Child actors are treated almost as well as top stars. Some are Lee Hyun-woo ("King Se Jong", "The Legend"), Yoo Seung-ho ("The Legend", "King and I"), Sim Eun-kyeong ("The Legend", "Hwangjin-i"), Park Eun-bin ("The Legend", "Lobbyist"), Park Ji-bin ("Yi San", "My Man's Woman"), Kang I-seok ("Mr. Good-Bye", "First Wives' Club"), Jung Da-bin ("I Love You", "Really Really Like You"), Kim Hyeong-ki ("Bad Couple", "Salt Doll"), and Seo Sin-ae ("Thank You", "Exclamation Mark"). These are famous child stars who are good enough to play leading roles.

Child actors who must be in dramas. How much are their salaries?

Ten minutes air time, first-rank 10560 won ($US 10,2) to eighth-rank 41,940 won ($US 42); paid by rank

The salaries of actors in the three broadcasting companies are divided into 18 ranks. Child actors and elementary school students are in ranks 1 through 5. Junior high students are in ranks 6 to 8.

But for an outside production, this standard is not absolute. The lowest rank 1 receives 10560 won ($US 10,5) (ten minutes).

There are also differences between sitcoms, daily dramas, weekend dramas, and miniseries. The time of airing, rank of the actor, and fame of their name also change the salaries.

For example, elementary student A (more well known puts them in rank 5) who starred in many dramas will receive 121140 won ($US 121) for 60 minutes in a miniseries. This does not include transportation fees, outdoor scenes, all-nighter scenes, housing fees, and food fees.

One representative from a broadcasting company said, "We use an average salary chart as a basis but we change it according to the actor's popularity and the manager and producers' relationships".

The salary and other fees, such as transportation and food, add up to 150000 to 400000 won ($US 150-400) per episode.

Yoo Seung-ho, Sim Eun-kyeong "Top stars as young actors"

But not all actors receive their pays according to these expected rates. For top young actors, they base the salaries on their rank as well.

Last year, Yoo Seung-ho acted as the young Seong-jong in SBS "King and I" and Dam-duk in MBC "The Legend". He became popular as the 'king maker'.

Sim Eun-kyeong also made a name for herself after she acted as a young Ha Ji-won in KBS "Hwangjin-i". She also acted as a young Lee Ji-ah in "The Legend".

Was it because all their dramas were successes? Yoo Seung-ho and Sim Eun-kyeong are known as top stars. One company reealed, "Yoo Seung-ho receives 2 million won per episode ($US 2000), and Sim Eun-kyeong receives 1.5 million won ($US 1500) per episode".

Park Ji-bin, who made many viewers cry in "YiSan" and "My Man's Woman", receives 1 million ($US 1000) to 1.5 million won ($US 1500) per episode.

This is not a small amount compared to a middle-aged actor, and he also receives about 2 million won per episode ($US 2000).

Original Korean Article: DongA 2008.04.22 08:17

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 05:48 PM | Show all posts
News Index PAGE 2

April 22, 2008: Four stingy questions about Rain's Hollywood entrance
April 22: Han Jae-seok, Comeback with "Woman of the Sun"

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 25-4-2008 05:49 PM | Show all posts

April 22, 2008

Four stingy questions about Rain's Hollywood entrance

Top star Rain is starring in Hollywood blockbuster "Speed Racer", which cost 300 billion won ($US 300 million), and will reveal his face to the whole world. He plays a handsome character with a big part, not distorted because he's Asian.

Rain, who rose as a singer and actor in Korea, came close to being a world star after a world tour, including a performance in America. With this movie, he will establish a foundation. With his sincerity and effort, he came out earlier than expected. He also has the lead role for "Ninja Assassin", the next work of the Wachowski brothers, the directors of "Speed Racer". The directors did not hesitate to put Rain in the leading role of their big project, ten years in the making.

At this point, it's hard not to be curious about the chemistry between Rain and "Speed Racer". The answers come from the world premiere on the 18th and an interview with Rain. Of course, most of the answers are not disappointing.

Does Rain speak English well?

When Rain, who was born, raised, and worked in Korea, said he would come out in a Hollywood movie, everyone was doubtful about his English skills. Would he be able to show his talent when he had to focus on accomplishing his English lines?

But after the premiere, there were many in the audience who applauded Rain's natural recitation of his lines. There weren't any long and difficult lines, but there was no indication that it was his first English movie.

Rain said that the secret for these results were 'honestly'. He said, "From the beginning, I truthfully admitted that I was learning English and to tell me if I pronounced something wrong. My fellow actors also corrected my usage, and monitored my scenes especially with care".

His way of studying English is to talk to himself. He revealed, "It's become a habit to sit at a coffee shop and ask questions and answer them by myself. My English is still at a conversation level, but by next year, I hope to speak comfortable even in a formal setting".

Taejo Togokhan? Isn't he Japanese?

Asian roles in Hollywood movies are usually Japanese or Chinese. This movie was a remake of the Japanese comic "Mahha GoGoGo" and there was speculation that Rain's haracter Taejo Togokhan was Japanese. It's not a big problem of what nationality he is, but there was the desire that it would be known as a Korean.

The movie approached his nationality vaguely, and took a step back from the problem. Togokhan's father seems Chinese, and his younger sister seems Japanese. The company name at the office is in Korean. Rain's opinion greatly influenced the Korean in the movie. Rain took care of the problem by saying "Taejo Togokhan is just Asian American".

Easy to adjust to Hollywood actors and system?

He wasn't absolutely alone, but there were a lot of things he had to do alone in that unfamiliar place. Rain said he was worried at first. "It seemed Hollywood top stars wouldn't be as kind to Asians".

But the results were opposite. Rain was amazed at the set, directors, and actors, but he was determined not to make it obvious. So he had no NGs or faults. The actors were nice and they got along well.

Rain revealed his ability to adapt. "Almost everything was filmed with a green screen. It was embarrassing to stare into space and recite lines with nothing there, but after the second time, I got used to it and it was fun".

He also got along with the actors. "There is a scene where I punch Emile Hirsch. I still remember people monitoring in front of the camera and telling me that I did really well. And Susan Sarandon, who I liked when I was young, complimented my acting and it seemed like a dream. Later, she took a signed CD, saying that she saw my performance on YouTube. She sent a letter congratulating my Hollywood debut, and I have it safe at home".

"I watched 'Lost', 'Prison Break', and 'Entourage" to study English, and it was nice to meet Matthew Fox, the main character of 'Lost'. He is handsome, and I tried hard to get close to them".

As the directors, Rain, who didn't have a single NG, seemed to be a logical choice for their next work. Rain wanted to treat them to Korean food, and invited them to Korean restaurant in Berlin for bulgogi and kimchi. The Wachoski brothers then asked, "You work very hard. There's something we've been preparing for ten years. Do you want to do it?"

Rain said, "Sure. Who's the main character?" And the directors answered, "It's you". And so, "Ninja Assassin", filming from next month, will allow Rain to do the action and sad acting that he wanted.

Is there a big emphasis?

Taejo Togokhan is an important character who controls the main character's situation. He is not simply a sweet friend or an evil character, but a role whose mystery grows towards the end of the movie. Rain acted out scenes when he was angry, nervous about a competition, and cheering innocently.

Initially, the emphasis was small, but it grew with Rain's efforts. How hard he must have worked for the directors to expand his role. But if you know Rain's sincerity, it is easy to understand. Afraid that he would be pushed around by the actors, he didn't sleep right, wore the racing uniform in 35 degree Celsius weather, not asking for water or rest, and showed that 'Koreans are always like this'.

It is a custom for blockbusters, but there may be a third "Speed Racer", and Rain may have the opportunity to reveal the mystery behind Taejo Togokhan. He said, "I'm curious about some scenes toward the end. There seems to be something after that, but they won't tell me".

If anyone has been into the online game "Kart Rider" (http://kart.nexon.com/), the movie will seem exciting. You can see Rain holding a steering wheel in the midst of great computer graphics on May 8.

Original Korean Article: Newsva 2008-04-22 11:08

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 05:50 PM | Show all posts
April 22, 2008

Han Jae-seok, Comeback with "Woman of the Sun"

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 05:51 PM | Show all posts
April 24, 2008

'Moonlight' Shines on Seoul's Nightlife

By Lee Hyo-won
Staff Reporter

In "The Moonlight of Seoul," actors Yoon Kye-sang, left, and Ha Jung-woo
star as sexy male hosts who reign ― and perish ― in the city nightlife./ Courtesy of Lotte Entertainment

Young, stylish director Yoon Jong-bin is releasing "The Moonlight of Seoul" (aka. "Beastie Boys"), his second feature film starring Ha Jung-woo. The gleaming cast also includes singer-turned-actor Yoon Kye-sang and up and upcoming actress Yoon Jin-seo.

Director Yoon and Ha reunite for another guy movie dealing with a provoking subject matter after their critically acclaimed homosexual soldier story "The Unforgiven" (2006), which made both of them landmarks on the cinematic map.

Away from army barracks, "Moonlight" takes us to the posh strip of Cheongdam-dong in the heart of downtown Seoul. When night falls, the glitzy Louis Vuitton road shop and high-end art galleries go into deep slumber and another world awakens.

But "Moonlight" goes beyond your idea of a thrilling nightlife. It's about excessive partying in all its capitalistic glory: rich but lonely ladies (mostly 30-something businesswomen) flock to an upscale "room salon" (bar with private rooms) and pay for the services of strapping, young male hosts.

These charming "eye candies," impeccably dressed and styled at a beauty salon, are available in all types ― funny, good-looking, talented singers or dancers. They pour drinks and entertain with witty lines, croon love songs and even put on little magic shows. This is the male version of "10 peuro" or 10 percent, an actual super luxurious room salon with hostesses who are literally in the "top percentile" of the beauty hierarchy.

Yoon Kye-sang stars as the handsome Seung-woo, the bar's "ace" or most popular host. But having grown up in a wealthy and now bankrupt family, he claims to be different from the others and thinks of the job as just a passing phase leading to something greater in life. Then he meets Ji-won (Yoon Jin-seo), a client, and the seducer becomes the seduced.

Ha is Jae-hyeon, a cheeky guy who manages the younger hosts. He's a veteran parasite who has women opening up their wallets with just a few words. Although Jae-hyeon lives with his longtime girlfriend (Seung-woo's sister), he shamelessly seduces other women and even brings them home. But maintaining a stylish lifestyle lands him in debt, and he must, as in host parlance, "go into construction" or schematically lure women for cash.

After centuries of artwork depicting female courtesans to prostitutes, "Moonlight" finally brings the male counterpart of the 21st century onscreen. The film, however, could disappoint female fans. Of course, the good-looking male leads strut around in finely pressed, half unbuttoned shirts and whisper sweet nothings ― but that's just for show.

The film portrays some ugly party scenes including orgies. It's almost allegorical in showing the so-called fall of modern man. Most of the screen captures the bad hangover part, and far from being stylized, it reads more like a documentary.

Struggling 20-something year-olds capitalize on their good looks. But off work, Jae-hyeon and Seung-woo are less charming, and often engage in verbal and physical abuse against women. It reflects almost misogynistic undertones in the pleasure factor. These male hosts provide services to women, but female sexuality and sexual needs are almost non-existent ― save for the part of Yoon Jin-seo. The actress does a commendable job as the fine counterpoint to the two charismatic male leads.

Yoon Kye-sang continues to embody that fresh, youthful appeal he displayed in films such as "Flying Boys" (2004), but delivers it with weight. Ha gives yet another gripping performance, offering more of that animalistic acting instinct in his recent box office smash "The Chaser." The main cast keeps the rather long, drawn-out script (two hours) engaging.

As in the director's own words, the movie "depicts youths living in the exotic backdrop of Gangnam (southern Seoul) and those kicking and screaming to survive in the superficial, capitalistic society." It's more bitter than sweet ― in fact, acidic on the taste buds. In theaters April 30.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2008/04/135_23056.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 05:51 PM | Show all posts
April 24, 2008

"New Heart" Ji Sung Feels the Love

Actor Ji Sung is planning an official trip to Japan for the first time after his mandatory military service.

He became very popular in Japan after his part in the TV drama, "All-in." After his 2-year military service, he made a successful comeback into the spotlight with the MBC drama "New Heart" (Teleplay by Hwang Eun-kyung, Directed by Park Hong-kyun). Next month, Ji Sung will be holding a large-scale event with fans at the JCB Hall of Tokyo Dome City.

New Heart was a huge success and brought Ji Sung significant attention along with various requests for commercial deals.

Re-runs of New Heart have been airing at the primetime hour of 9:00 pm (Mondays and Tuesdays) on the Hallyu entertainment cable channel Mnet since last month. The number of re-runs has increased due to the show's immense popularity in Japan.

Source: KBS Global
http://english.kbs.co.kr/mconten ... /1520654_11692.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 05:52 PM | Show all posts
April 24, 2008

JANG Hyuk enters the world stage impressively

Korean star JANG Hyuk's English language debut film Dance of the Dragon抯 premiere is imminent. Building up to the release of the big budget film, its director John Radel compared JANG to James Dean.

Radel also praised the versatility JANG displayed, including martial arts and dance skills while maintaining a high level of acting during his first English language role. Radel predicted a bright international career for JANG after people all over the world will see him in Dance of the Dragon.

Dance of the Dragon is a co-production between South Korea, Singapore and the U.S., starring JANG, Fann Wong (Singapore), and Jason Scott Lee (U.S.). JANG and Lee抯 characters are rivals for the love of Fann. The love story mixes ballroom dancing with action.

The world premiere party will take place on May 1 in Singapore. JANG arrived in Singapore prior to the premiere for promotional activities and interviews.

JANG already entered international markets through the success of his Korean films. He starred in the comedy hits Volcano High (Hwasango), Windstruck (Nae Yojachingooreul Sogaehamnida), and Please Teach Me English.

Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC), image from yahoo.kr
http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel/

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 05:52 PM | Show all posts
April 24, 2008

Lee broadens acting career

When he was interviewed by The Korea Herald in November 2006, Lee Byung-hun expressed some doubts about whether he could make it in Hollywood.

His skepticism, which partly reflected his measured approach in entering the world's biggest entertainment market, seems fairly overdone. A string of news items about his Hollywood stint keep coming in, and his acting career is going at a fast clip.

In mid-March, Lee completed his first day of shooting as Storm Shadow in Paramount Pictures' action adventure "G.I. Joe," to be released in October August 2008. This week, a couple of photographs have been made public on the Web so that people can see him as one of the most popular characters in the G.I. Joe franchise. Clad in white, Lee seems primed to play a dark, complex character trained by a ninja master.

"G.I. Joe" will mark Lee's full-fledged foray into Hollywood, a crucial development in what has already been a colorful career. Popular in Korea and Japan, Lee has long prepared to broaden his acting range and his fame. To that end, he is said to have made a serious effort to improve English proficiency.

Lee is also expected to enhance his stature at film festivals this year.

He starred in director Kim Ji-woon's latest feature, "The Good, The Bad, The Weird," and also performed in the Vietnamese filmmaker Anh Hung Tran's "I Come with the Rain." Local media reported that both films have a chance to be part of the Cannes film festival, which begins on May 14.

"The Good, The Bad, The Weird," set in Manchuria, features a bandit, a train robber, and a bounty hunter, and, thanks to the big-name casting and a sizable production budget, it is considered one of the country's biggest film projects this year. Since it is still in post-production, however, it remains uncertain whether it will be invited to Cannes.

"I Come with the Rain," is a multinational project in which Lee has reunited with the Japanese star Takuya Kimura. Last year, Lee played a Korean chief of detectives in "Hero," whose central character is a quirky Japanese prosecutor played by Kimura.

On the domestic front, Lee has signed a contract with Taewon Entertainment and Kang Je-kyu Film to co-produce and star in "IRIS," a whopping $22 million Korean TV series. Leading producer Lee Hyung-min will take charge of the expensive project, and the shooting is scheduled to begin later this year.

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com), image from empas.com

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 05:53 PM | Show all posts
April 24, 2008

The 44th PaekSang Arts Awards Sparkles with Stars

Korean TV and film stars gathered together for The 44th PaekSang Arts Awards Thursday evening in Seoul. The Awards honors filmmakers, TV actors and actresses, producers and programs that made distinguishing marks in the field of visual media arts.

In the film category, the grand prize went to 揟he Chaser

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-4-2008 05:54 PM | Show all posts
April 25, 2008

"Likable or Not" Reach Highest Drama Ratings since 2000

The KBS 1TV daily drama "Likable or Not" is now the most popular daily drama to have been broadcast after 2000.

On the 24th, AGB Nielsen Media Research released the results of a survey of the 20 highest-ranking TV programs by episode after 2000. The "Likable of Not" episode which aired on the 22nd ranked 17th with 43.9% ratings.

The daily drama edged in front of the 2003 MBC daily drama "Miss Mermaid" (43.6%, January 2nd) and the 2007 KBS1 daily drama "Innocent at 19" (43.2%, January 2nd).

TV ratings for "Likable or Not" began at 26.8% on September 3rd of last year and have continued to rise steadily. The last episode will air May 2nd.

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/mconten ... /1520834_11692.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2008 11:55 AM | Show all posts
April 25, 2008

Choi Min-soo Charged with Assault and Battery

Actor Choi Min-soo, known for his masculine and charismatic personality, was charged with beating up a Mr. Yoo, a 73-year-old man, and driving 200 meters with the old man on the hood of his car.

Police report says that Choi and Yoo got into an altercation when the old man reprimanded Choi for cussing while he was stuck in traffic in the Itaewon area of Seoul. Choi apparently beat the old man with his fist several times and tried to get away when people recognized him. But Yoo got in front of the car to stop Choi from leaving the scene. Witnesses say that Choi just drove off for about 200 meters with Yoo hanging onto the hood before being stopped by the police called to the scene. Yoo also accused Choi of threatening him with a knife, but Choi has denied that part of the accusation.

After being booked without detention, Choi held a press conference late Thursday night to explain the incident and apologize for causing so much trouble. He also said that he has apologized to Yoo and reached a settlement. Choi appeared very remorseful and repentant, repeatedly saying that everything is his fault and he should not be forgiven. He added that he抯 disappointed at himself and is willing to receive any punishment that comes his way.

Choi recently won a role in the film 揝treet of Dreams

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2008 11:56 AM | Show all posts
Assault Allegations Cloud Actor Choi's Hollywood Dream

By Kim Rahn
Staff Reporter

Actor Choi Min-soo apologizes on his knees
for assaulting a 73-year-old man during a press conference
at the office of Hyun Jin Cinema in Seoul, Thursday. / Korea Times

Famous Korean tough guy actor Choi Min-soo, 46, got down on his knees, with tears welling up in his eyes, to make a public apology for assaulting a 73-year-old man.

Police are investigating the case in which the actor allegedly beat up the man, threatened him with a weapon and drove his car with the man hanging on the bonnet. The family of the victim are considering filing a suit against him.

The allegations come as Choi is scheduled to co-star with Robert de Niro and Andy Garcia in "Street of Dreams." The film, which starts shooting in December, is a 40-billion-won ($40 million) co-production among U.S.-based FR Productions, Korea's Hyun Jin Cinema and Japan's Wides Japan. How the incident will affect the casting of the Hollywood film is still unknown.

For its part, Seoul-based SBS TV said Friday that it decided to cancel airing two programs in which Choi appeared, taking simmering public anger against the actor into consideration.

According to police, Choi, while driving his jeep, swore at a tow truck driver on a road in Itaewon-dong, central Seoul, around 1 p.m. Monday, as it was blocking the road.

A nearby restaurant owner reprimanded Choi for using abusive language, and the quarrel started. Choi cursed at the owner, identified by his last name Yu, grabbed him by the collar and threw him down, according to the victim and witnesses. Choi beat up the old man and Yu called police.

Choi tried to leave the scene in his jeep but Yu blocked the car with his body. Ignoring him, Choi drove the car and Yu was dragged for some 50 meters holding on to the hood of the car.

Yu managed to climb to the passenger seat of the jeep and demanded Choi stop the car. Choi then told him to get off the car, threatening him with a knife-like weapon, according to witnesses.

Police officers arrived and took both of them to the police station. They have questioned them several times since.

With the incident being made public, Choi apologized to the public at a press conference Thursday evening. He said he was to blame, saying: "I did not come here to defend myself. Above all, I cannot forgive myself."

Choi said allegations involving a weapon, fleeing the scene and assault will be proven after a police investigation. Regarding the weapon, he said that there were some tools in the car, and that Yu may have mistaken the gearsticks as weapons.

"I did something I shouldn't have. I'm deeply sorry. I'll keep visiting Yu and apologizing to him until he forgives me,'' Choi said.

When asked about his future as an actor, he said, "I feel like I'd rather die."

Despite the apology, Yu and his family said they would sue Choi if the actor tries to distort the truth.

A daughter of the victim spoke to the media. "How can a person who assaulted an elderly man be called a top star? We will take legal action against him if he tries to distort the truth even slightly." She said her father is still suffering from pain in his back.

Credits: rahnita@koreatimes.co.kr
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/ ... 8/04/117_23140.html

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 28-4-2008 11:57 AM | Show all posts
April 25, 2008

Books Map Out Korean Film History

By Lee Hyo-won
Staff Reporter

Chungmuro in northern Seoul is the spiritual heartland of Korean cinema,
the equivalent of America's Hollywood. Inside in the Chungmuro subway station on line 3,
a wall shows past winners of the Daejong (Grand Bell) Film Festival, Korea's premier award.
/ Korea Times photo by Lee Jae-moon

Korea is increasingly becoming an important market in the film world ― as it ranks sixth and seventh in the world in terms of audience size and ticket sales, respectively, according to the Korean Film Council.

Last week, the Asia junket for the anticipated blockbuster "Iron Man"took place in Seoul ― the second big Hollywood event to be held here since last summer's "Transformers."

In international film festivals, more and more Korean filmmakers and actors are stealing the limelight, notably actress Jeon Do-yeon (2007 Cannes Best Actress) and directors Kim Ki-duk (2004 Best Director awards at both Venice and Berlin), Park Chan-wook (2004 Cannes Grand Prix) and Im Kwon-taek (2002 Cannes Best Director, 2007 Dubai Lifetime Achievement Award).

Local production companies and investors are now out to play in the big league. Last year, Shim Hyun-rae's "D-War" marked the first widely released Korean film in the United States, while domestic talent whipped up the special effects for "Assembly," China's first blockbuster. Recently, Taewon Entertainment launched a "global film project" starring international stars Maggie Q and Andy Lau.

In order to better understand the present, of course, you need to glance back at the past. Two books offer comprehensive retrospectives of Korean cinema: the Korean Film Archive brings "Korean Film History" while the Korean Film Council (KOFIC) offers "Korean Cinema From Origins to Renaissance." Both offer 100 years of film history in 10 chapters, decade by decade.

Film specialist Jung Jong-hwa provides a short but all-inclusive anthology in "Korean Film History" (271 pp., 8,000 won). It's a nice pocketbook for Koreans and is filled with movie stills and posters as well as antique photos and newspapers clips. You can flip through it and skim the yellow boxes that summarize trends such as "Korea's first film director" and "Actresses of the 1960s."

"Korean Cinema From Origins to Renaissance," edited by Kim Mee-hyun, is available in both Korean and English. The latter is the ultimate "bible" of Korean cinema for non-Korean speakers, as it includes all the standardized names of films, filmmakers, actors and significant terms in both English and Korean.

The drawbacks, however, are its hefty price ($65), weight and length (477 pp.). It's great for those who are seriously committed to knowing all the facts and figures. But good news is that the KOFIC Web site (www.koreanfilm.or.kr) provides free, downloadable excerpts from the book (each of the 10 chapters summarized in essay format).

It is generally agreed that motion pictures were first introduced here as early as 1897, when shorts were played for Japanese residents. The chronicles of Elias Burton Holmes, an American traveler, reveal that movies were being shown around 1901.

Called "moving photos," films were an imported luxury, and in 1919 as many as 218 were brought in. Early homegrown works largely comprised of kino-dramas, or theatrical productions that featured screenings of outdoor scenery as backdrops.

As Korea was under Japanese colonial rule (1910-1945), art had political undertones. In 1924, Park Seung-pil, owner of Dansungsa Theater (which, now a part of Cinus multiplex theater chain, still stands today in Jongno 3-ga), made a breakthrough with "The Story of Jang-hwa and Hong-ryeon," the first "purely Korean feature film." It was a response to the hit Japanese-Korean work, "The Story of Chun-hyang," and the two competed for audiences at theaters.

There was more organized resistance against imperialism, such as the Korea Artista Proleta Federatio (KAPF). Founded in 1925, the group produced its own films. While KAPF was weakly funded and failed to make a great impact, it marks a significant effort in Korean history and Korean cinema.

Soon, sound films were introduced but Korean cinema faced regulations by the Japanese government. There were also co-productions of propaganda movies. After 1945, there were a host of "liberation films" celebrating Korea's independence. Then with the outbreak of the Korean War (1950-53), filmmakers concentrated on documentaries.

Post-war Korea was poverty stricken, but it was also a time of revival and boom. Melodramas and comedies were all the rage and film studios sprang up. Chungmuro in central Seoul became home to filmmakers, becoming the Hollywood of Korea. The 1960s are usually called the Golden Age of Korean cinema, with representative directors like Shin Sang-ok and his wife and actress Choi Eun-hee making one hit after another.

But the 70s and 80s were woeful times, with the strict regulations under the Yunshin regime and censorship of military rule, respectively. Yet these were also times of many firsts, with awards at international film festivals and the direct distribution of Hollywood films.

In the early 1990s, local romantic comedies swept box offices while the Screen Quota System ― obligating theaters to show Korean movies for a minimum period ― was enforced to protect domestic films.

In 1998, Korea's "first blockbuster" "Shiri" (aka. "Swiri") ― a North Korean spy story combining action, melodrama and suspense ― sent a shockwave through the industry. With the establishment of multiplex theaters, the number of screenings across the country tripled. Box office smashes drawing over 13 million people (Korea has a population of about 49 million) like "The Host" took flight, also faring well abroad.

In addition to the already institutionalized Korean TV soaps, "hallyu" (Korean Wave) stars paved the way to box office hits in Japan, China and other Asian countries. For subtitle-phobic American audiences, Hollywood bought the remake rights for some 25 homegrown hits. One example is "The Lake House'' starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock based on "Il Mare" with Jun Ji-hyun. Jun (aka. Gianna Jun), who appears in Hollywood's upcoming "Blood: The Last Vampire."

More stars are making their way beyond Asia into the American entertainment capital, notably actors Kim Yun-jin (ABC's "Lost"), Jang Dong-kun ("Laundry Warrior" produced by Barrie M. Osborne), Lee Byung-hun ("I Come With the Rain" opposite Josh Hartnett) and pop star Rain ("Speed Racer" by the Wachowski brothers) among others.

The Korean film industry, while gaining international reputation however, stands on shaky grounds. It saw an unnatural vertical growth as chaebol or large conglomerates heavily invested, withdrew then came back. Big monster production companies control the distribution of major movies, while those made by small- or medium-size firms find it hard to squeeze in.

But there is a leeway, as Mary K. Evjen Olsen, executive director of corporate marketing at Dreamville Entertain said in a Korea Times column. Hyun Jin Cinema, a medium-sized production company, made a smart move to team up with Japanese and American partners for the upcoming gangster movie "Streets of Dreams," starring Robert De Niro, Andy Garcia and Korea's Choi Min-soo.

As Korean movies and cineastes make their way near and far, there is room for improvement. Archiving and restoration of classic films are big ongoing projects for the Korean Film Archive. But there is also a serious lack of support for a decent cinematheque. While KOFIC provides a set standard, the omnipresence of irregular Romanization of Korean titles and names is still a problem. It is hoped that Korean cinema gets past these growing pains.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2008/04/135_23142.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2008 11:58 AM | Show all posts

April 24, 2008

Lee Dong-wook stars in 'Sweet Life' a new MBC TV drama currently in production

Actor Lee Dong-wook (age: 27) returns to the small screen after a 2-year hiatus.

He will star in 揝weet Life,

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2008 11:59 AM | Show all posts
April 24, 2008

Paeksang Arts Awards: Kang Ho-dong, center, ssireum (Korean wrestling) star-turned-TV show host, shouts for joy after being given the top prize for the television program category at the 44th annual Paeksang Arts Awards at the National Theater of Korea in central Seoul, Thursday. The top prize in the film category went to "The Chaser," directed by Na Hong-jin. It stars actors Kim Yun-seok and Ha Jung-woo. / Yonhap

Source: The Korea Times

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/ ... 8/04/113_23121.html

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2008 12:01 PM | Show all posts
April 26, 2006

5 Korean films invited to the Cannes including
"The Good, the Bad, and the Weird", "The Chaser" and "Tokyo!"

This year, Korean genre films of a new aesthetic achievements were invited to the 61st Cannes Festival. Films invited last year to the competition section, Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine" and Kim Ki-duk's "Breath", displayed what Korea's auteuristic films are really about. This year, films like "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird" invited to the Out of Competition section and "The Chaser" which is to be screened for Midnight Screenings, will vividly reveal the level Korean genre films have reached so far. "The Housemaid" by director Kim Ki-young to be shown at the Classic section is another masterpiece marking the height of thrillers On the other hand, director Bong Joon-ho who swept the world's movie scene with "The Host" is preparing to disclose his new sensuality with "Tokyo!" invited to the Un Certain Regard section. "Tokyo!" is an omnibus film co-directed by Michel Gondry and Leos Carax, and in "Shaking Tokyo" segment, Bong pictures the lonely inner side of human beings through the scenery of a megacity named Tokyo.

"The Chaser" directed by Na Hong-jin was appraised in Korea last year as 'discovery of Korean films'. Na debuted with this film but unlike a novice directing feature film for the first time he handled the traditions of thrillers very well, receiving favorable responses that the film skillfully showed the barren inner side of our society. "The Chaser" was a great success in Korea. Director Kim Jee-woon who has continued on with the genre experiments has turned his eyes to action genre this time. Shifting the arena of experiment from comedy ("The Foul King"), horror ("A Tale of Two Sisters") to noir ("A Bittersweet Life"), he has been reinterpreting the rules of genres in his own way. Expectations are high as to how he will revive the so-called 'Manchurian Western', which was popular with Korean films back in 1960s and 70s, in "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird". Also the film is catching the attention of many since Korea's top actors, Lee Byung-hun, Song Kang-ho and Jung Woo-sung will be starring in it.

Meanwhile "The Housemaid" invited to the Classic section is an interesting piece in a sense that it shows the climax of imagination on genre in Korean film history. It is one of the most important works done by director Kim Ki-young, an eccentric figure in Korean film history, someone with extremely extraordinary imagination. "The Housemaid" to be showed during this event was digitally restored by the Korean Film Archive with sponsors from World Cinema Foundation lead by Martin Scorsese. Lastly, short animation "STOP" has also made it to the Cannes, for the Cinefondation section.

Source: www.koreanfilm.or.kr

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

27-4-2024 06:39 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.080044 second(s), 41 queries .